Police blotter April 3

April 3, 2013

By Administrator


At about 2:10 a.m. March 22, police noticed a car driving 55 mph in a 40 mph zone in the 2200 block of 228th Avenue. The officer pulled the vehicle over near the intersection of Southeast 43rd Street and Providence Point Way.

The driver was a South Korean man visiting the U.S. on business. At first, he denied drinking but then admitted to having had a single beer. Police did not perform a field sobriety test due to a language barrier, but the man returned a .091 on a portable breath test, above the .08 legal limit.

Back at the police station, the officer contacted an interpreter over the phone and, through the interpreter, explained the man his rights and that he’d been arrested.

The man took another breath test, registering a .082 and .079. During an observation time, he did not ask to contact his consulate, but did ask the officer to forgive him and asked if his personnel department could take care of the problem. The officer made a copy of his passport and drove the man back to his hotel in Bellevue.


Sound the alarm

Police responded to an audible residential alarm on the 2900 block of 222nd Place Southeast at 5:28 p.m. March 17. When officer arrived, they found an unsecured door at the back of the house, but no suspects and no signs of burglary. Police left a door hangar for an unsecured door and were able to secure the home before leaving.



A resident on the 22200 block of Northeast 25th Way called police to report someone had broken into his home between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. March 20. The resident came home to find the front door had been forced open so he called police and did not enter the home until they arrived.

Police checked the home for intruders but found none. A camera was taken, but it appeared nothing else was missing. Police believe the suspect may have held the latch open then shouldered the door, breaking a deadbolt. Officers could find no fingerprints. Between the damage to the door and the camera, the homeowner estimated a loss of about $1,300.


Mystery movies

A man contacted police because over a span of two months, someone had been making a series of unauthorized charges to his Dish Network account. In each of two monthly billing cycles, the man noticed the charges and contacted the company, which acknowledged he did not incur the charges and credited them to his account.

The second time, the man asked Dish Network if they’d been able to investigate the source of the unwanted charges. Company representatives replied that he needed to file a police report before they could proceed, so he did. He does not know how his information was compromised


Door-to-door no-no

Police responded to the intersection of Southeast 19th Street and 200th Avenue Southeast at about 3:23 p.m. March 23 when someone reported there were door-to-door salespeople.

Officers found two women, neither of whom had a valid license to peddle wares door-to-door. Neither had any identification on them. When officers ran their names through computer databases, one had a Kentucky home address, the other had no state-issued identification.

Officers contacted their manager and explained that Sammamish doesn’t cotton to people selling door-to-door without a permit. The manager said he understood and would take care of it.


No doughnuts here

Police heard the tell-tale sound of screeching tires that indicate someone spinning them, possibly doing doughnuts, at 11:19 p.m. March 16 in the Pine Lake Shopping Center. Police pulled the driver over and found him to be a 17-year-old Eastlake student. The officer called the boy’s mother. The boy was “genuinely apologetic,” so police released him with a warning.


Not so veiled threat

A woman called police at about 6:30 p.m. Mach 22 and then came to the station to explain a possible threat. Her husband and another man run an insurance business in Bellevue, but the business is closing. The two men are in mediation to determine who gets which of the business’ assets.

One recorded a meeting they’d had at a coffee shop, upsetting the other. That man then sent a text message stating he knew someone in the Russian mafia. The woman became scared and reported the incident to police.

Officers explained that that wasn’t enough of a threat for them to take action. The woman said she understood, but wanted the case documented as a precaution.


Who’s got

the number

A man called police to report that his tax returns had been rejected by the IRS in each of the last two years because someone else had used his 10-year-old son’s Social Security Number. The man said he would help with prosecution if the number is determined to be fraudulent, instead of a mistake.


Found boy

A man called police at about 2:52 p.m. March 22 because he found a young boy wandering in the roadway around Southeast Fourth Street and 220th Avenue Southeast. The four-year-old boy has Downs Syndrome and was unable to communicate where he lived.

As officers and the man were checking the neighborhood, the boy’s father came running up. He explained the boy had not before been able to get outside by himself, and he suspected someone left the door open.


Joy ride

ends badly

Police responded to a call at about 11:40 a.m. March 20 of a woman whose foster son drove her car without permission. The boy, 14, was home because of a suspension and took the car for a drive. During the drive, he admitted to hitting a road sign and driving off.

Officers had already been investigating the damaged sign. When they responded to the home, they arrested the boy for taking a motor vehicle without permission and hit and run. The case is being forwarded to juvenile prosecutors.


Not so candid camera

Police mediated a situation that happened at about 9:30 a.m. March 20. A man was at a local drug store and saw a car parked in a handicapped spot without a handicapped placard. The man took out a camera to take a picture of the vehicle, but the driver then put up the placard so the man stopped.

Inside the store, the driver confronted the shutterbug. He became worried so decided, again, to photograph the vehicle in case he was confronted, again.

The driver, who was upset, told the man he had no right to take the pictures.

Police talked to both parties, and all agreed that emotions had gotten the best of them. No one complained of injury or pain, and all said they could have better handed things by being less confrontational.


Naughty boy

At 1:22 a.m. March 19, police noticed a vehicle going 50 mph in a 40 mph zone in the 400 block of 228th Avenue Northeast. As police approached the vehicle, the driver sped up. The officer turned his lights on, and the diver pulled over. The driver did not have identification on him, but when police ran his name through databases, they found he was driving with a suspended license and had a felony arrest warrant out for him related to a burglary. Police arrested the man.

The car’s passenger, who did not have a valid driver’s license, contacted his sister who came to get him and the vehicle.


Follow the emails

Police responded to a complex on the 3800 block of Issaquah-Pine Lake Road after a man reported a burglary. The property contains several buildings including barns, horse stalls and an arena. The man had been in Austria from March 2 to 16 and came back to find an address book, financial documents and a pair of table lamps missing totaling about $8,100.

The man suspects his ex-wife, who he had divorced about two years prior. He bases this on about 40 emails that were sent from his personal account to hers while he was gone.

He said his ex had never lived in the home, nor had she been invited to visit.

Someone else who lives on the property said he’d noticed a vehicle on the property that wasn’t usually there, but he didn’t pay much attention to it. Officers were able to find some fingerprints and photographed the scene.


Junk in the trunk

Police responded to a business which reported someone had dumped garbage into their recycling bin. In among the garbage was a vehicle registration. Officers tried to contact the owner of the vehicle, but the phone number listed is disconnected, and police were unable to find him at the listed address.


Items in the Police Blotter come from Sammamish Police reports.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.